Graduate - Nuclear Safety
Graduate - Nuclear Safety
Welcome to your next step towards a Graduate Career at AWE. The closing date for applications to the Graduate Scheme is 24th November 2018
The size and diversity of our business creates many opportunities for scientists and engineers. As part of the two year graduate scheme, we encourage you to undertake some placements across different areas of the business; giving you experience of both practical and strategic projects. We are interested in your personal and professional development and will support professional accreditation with the Nuclear Institute or other professional body.
As a graduate Nuclear Safety Assessment Specialist you will work as part of a team to investigate the consequences of design, engineering and operational failures of major hazards, modelling accident scenarios and identifying controls to prevent them.
The role offers the opportunity to undertake, but is not limited to, 2-3 placements working across the whole project lifecycle including; design of new facilities, large modifications of existing facilities, production facilities, research & development facilities and decommissioning facilities. As well as understanding our interactions with our regulators.
You will be engaged in technical problem-solving, preparing detailed reports to argue and justify the tolerability of nuclear, radiological, environmental and conventional hazards, whilst liaising with a diverse group of people at many levels within the company including operators, facility management, engineers and regulators.
The Graduate Nuclear Safety Assessment Specialist will:
- Develop skills in major hazard assessment and support the analysis and assessment of nuclear, radiological, chemical, explosives and other major hazards associated with actual, planned and/or decommissioned facilities, plant, equipment or product
- Gain experience in the development of safety assessments and justifications (e.g. Safety Cases) in line with relevant legislation, industry standards and AWE's policies, procedures and guidance
- Continuously develop their understanding of current health and safety legislation, the ONR licensing regime and the fundamental application of the ALARP principle
- Whilst supervised, contribute to the production and review of safety assessments, justifications and associated documentation
The AWE Graduate Scheme offers structured learning ensuring you will experience everything you need to make the most of your personal and career development.
To enhance your capability to add value to AWE's demanding technical programme we offer our graduates the following opportunities whilst on a two year programme:
- On the job learning from some of the most senior experts in their area of specialism
- Off the job learning including a series of planned and scheduled opportunities to help develop your knowledge of AWE and your own skills and knowledge
- Involvement in a graduate project
- Placement opportunities across the business, where applicable
- Support to achieve professional registration, for example working towards chartered status
- In return, we look for graduates with personality and drive, who are proactive, innovative and hungry to work in a challenging environment.
There are many benefits to enjoy when you join our graduate scheme:
- £2500 welcome payment
- Option of a £1000 interest free loan
- 9-Day Fortnight (i.e. every other Friday is a non-working day)
- Generous holiday entitlement
- Competitive salary, with regular graduate pay reviews
- Structured and supported career progression
- A generous defined contribution pension that is flexible to suit you
- Life Assurance (4 times salary)
- Access to voluntary benefits and discounts to make your money go further
- Group income protection
- Further education funding
Please ensure you include details of your final year dissertation (if applicable) and any modules that have been of particular interest when completing "why you are applying for this position" on your online application form.
The Graduate Scheme will start in 2019 and therefore all applicants must be available to start in September 2019. All applicants must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the relevant security clearance required and be willing and able to work in designated areas.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We believe that talent is unrelated to gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, social background or any other form of diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.