Call for Applications for Associate Director Position at the “Center for Nanomedicine” of the IBS
IBS invites applications for a position of Associate Director at the senior investigator level with a high research potential, who will run a high impact research program in collaboration with the director at the Center for Nanomedicie (Director: Jinwoo Cheon).
1. Introduction of the research center
- The goal of Center for Nanomedicine is to establish foundation for convergence of existing sciences and create new science with themes of nanomaterials and biological systems. We aim to introduce new nanomaterials to the scientific communities, which enable to monitor and understand biological phenomena with ultimate precision and accuracy. The particular areas of interest, but not limited to, are cellular mechanics, neuronal networks and signaling cascade. To this end, the center aims to specialize in three research fields: Nanomaterial design, nano-bio interfacing and imaging and nanomedicine. Cooperation among these fields will lead to development of innovative, high-performance nanomaterials and nanosystems that can help identify the fundamental principles behind biological phenomena at the single cell level. Some of the long term outcomes will include innovative concepts and tools for ultra-sensitive, high-accuracy, and high-efficiency diagnosis and treatments of diseases. On the basis of inter-disciplinary research across chemistry, physics, bioengineering, medicine, the Center for Nanomedicine will create scientific fields with new paradigms.
- For more information, visit the center webpage at http://yonsei.ibs.re.kr/html/yonsei_en/
2. Job description
- The appointed associate director will serve roles in assisting the founding director to achieve goals of the Center for Nanomedicine as well as directing his or her own research group within the center. The specific fields of research solicited for the associate director are (i) nanobio-materials science at the interfaces utilizing molecular surface chemistry, (ii) adhesive biomaterials for nanomedicine, and (iii) both (i) and (ii) should be closely related to translational nano-biomedical research. Applicants should have strong records of (i) scientific achievement at the international level, (ii) fundings for interdisciplinary researches and (iii) evidences of leadership capabilities in his/her research fields. The candidates are expected to have experiences of managing a large research group in an academic institution and be able to lead the center with a strong vision to further the research and outreach programs in the Center for Nanomedicine.
3. Requirements for the position (including the specific requirements set by the host institution or the research center)
- Research Areas for the Position: Fundamental interface chemistry, tools in nanobio-interfaces, and novel biomaterials. Based on the studies, translational biomedical studies to address unmet medical needs should be followed. - All candidates must be able to commit themselves completely in the long-term to IBS research activities.
- All candidates must be able to manage their respective research groups. - The candidate should have a Ph.D. in physics, chemistry, engineering, medicine or related fields.
- The candidate should be recognized as one of leaders in the international community of his or her research field.
- The candidate should be fluent enough with the relevant scientific and policy issues to be a highly credible representative of the Center among audiences ranging from the general public to the uppermost levels of scientists and policy-makers. The position calls for vision, breadth, and good judgment; proven intellectual leadership skills; a keen sense of public policy, as well as demonstrated financial and staff management experience.
- The candidates must have the ability to work independently while integrating themselves effectively into a teamwork environment. Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills, both oral and written, are therefore essential.
- Authority to run his/her own research team
- Sizable independent research budget
- Tenured or permanent position in Yonsei University
5. General Selection Procedure
① Recruitment of applicants by public advertisement
② Selection of candidates for in-depth evaluation
③ Symposium and in-depth interview by review panel
④ Decision by the SEC about recommendation
⑤ Negotiation with director
⑥ Appointment by the president
6. Application Submission
- Please fill out the ‘Application Form’ in English and email it as a single PDF file to email@example.com no later than November 18, 2018.
- E-mail title should include ‘Name of Applicant’ and ‘Name of the Research Center’
[ Contact Information ]
JANG Hyojin, Research Evaluation Team
Division of Research Service
Institute for Basic Science
55, Expo-ro, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, Korea, 34126
Tel. No.: +82-42-878-8236
Fax No.: +82-42-878-8065
For more information, please visit IBS website (www.ibs.re.kr).
7. Download link for ‘Application Form’