Technologist - Process and Product Development
Job Title: Technologist – Process and Product Development
Reporting To: Senior Scientist - Application Development
Location: Alderley Park
Full Time: 6 month placement – with possibility for extension
8.30 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday
Benefits Package: £22k pa
Start Date: October 2018
Closing date for applications noon on 27th September 2018
Econic Technologies is a young, highly innovative, and fast growing chemical technology company. We create new value from waste CO2 for the plastics industry. Our novel catalyst technology is used by plastics manufacturers to turn waste CO2 into positive economic and environmental potential. We are based in Alderley Park, Cheshire and the Heath Runcorn where we have a Customer Demonstration Facility. We develop and commercialise these novel catalyst technologies, turning scientific research into business advantage while delivering environmental gain for the benefit of all.
For more details on Econic please see our website: www.econic-technologies.com and our LinkedIn page: http://www.linkedin.com/company/econic-technologies-limited?trk=top_nav_home
This is an excellent 6-month internship opportunity for a Chemistry graduate to join an innovative company. The successful applicant can expect a daily routine which will consist of 75% Laboratory work and 25% planning, report writing, meetings and materials sourcing.
The Intern will:
- Develop Polyurethane formulations and prepare compelling samples, generating valuable technical data to help market Econic’s advantages.
- Process the CO2-based polyols for use in polyurethane formulations.
- Characterise the properties of the CO2-based polyols for applications of interest to Econic’s customers to be fed into the quality assurance programme.
- Document and capture all project work and outcomes in a clear, organised and comprehensive manner.
- Maintain in-house laboratory equipment.
- Maintain stock levels of consumables and glassware within the labs.
- Proactively seek to ensure a safe working environment and follow Econic’s safe working practices.
University graduate or postgraduate that have graduated with the last 3 calendar years, or an individual returning from a career break.
Skills & Experience
Experience of working in a laboratory environment.
Excellent numeracy and literacy, and computer literacy.
Proficiency in key MS Office programs (Excel, word) is desirable.
Ability to work independently with good problem-solving skills.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Safe laboratory practices and their application in a small team setting where safety is considered the absolute priority and where every team member carries full responsibility for their personal safety and the safety of their colleagues.
- Independent planning of chemical experiments and product testing programmes.
- Planning and conducting analytical experiments.
- Polymer chemistry in the highly relevant growth industry of polyurethanes.
- Product testing and quality assurance techniques.
- The principles of industrial benchmarking and the connection between laboratory chemistry and commercial product performance properties. Statistical analysis and its relevance to industrial research and development.
- The application of design of experiment principles to multivariate formulations
- Report writing and presentation skills.
- Time management
- Team work in a highly energy innovation driven environment.
Eligibility and Expectations
- In order to qualify for this position, you will need to be authorised to live and work in the UK.
- You must have respect for others and a commitment and enthusiasm for high standards and continuous improvement.
- At Econic Technologies we value diversity. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome employees who meet the requirements of the job, regardless of gender, ethnic origin, disability, age, religion or sexual orientation.
Important information regarding your application:
Please note that we will not be confirming receipt of applications.
Please include in your application confirmation of your consent for Econic to hold your information and personal details for recruitment purposes. Applications without consent will be discarded.
With regard to an application the procedure outlined will be followed:
- Econic will keep records of your application strictly for recruitment purposes.
- Any recruitment documentation will be kept for 12 months following the job position being filled.
- The successful candidates’ recruitment documentation will be kept in accordance with Econic’s Internal Personal Data Policy.
If you wish for your information to be removed from our records before that date, please contact our Data Protection Manager, Mrs. Laurence Menhinick via email@example.com stating “Personal information removal request” in the title of your email, or by writing to us at Econic Technologies Ltd, Block 19S, Alderley Park, Macclesfield, Cheshire SK10 4TG.
To apply for this role in the first instance please forward your CV with a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org the deadline for applications is 27th September 2018.