Industrial Placement - Electrochemistry and Sensor Design
Industrial placement - Electrochemistry and sensor design - 3 months placement full time
● Based in White City, London
● Working on cutting edge technology
● Job opportunity at the end of the placement
Caura is an innovative technology and design company building a next generation tracker to unlock human performance. Caura is using cutting-edge microneedle technology and electrochemistry to enable continuous monitoring of key bodily metrics (such as glucose and lactate) in-vivo, to help athletes train smarter, predict exhaustion, provide optimal dietary plans and reduce the risk of injuries. The technology enables continuous and real-time analysis of glucose and lactate in a painless and effortless way.
Caura - Electrochemist Intern
Caura is currently looking for ambitious people to join its growing science team to boost R&D. The intern will be working closely with the science team, founders, and consult frequently with our advisors. The preliminary focus of this internship is to explore and optimise the chemical component of the microneedle sensor system.
This includes but is not limited to optimising: enzyme concentrations/amounts, hydrogel type/concentration/amounts, membrane thickness/concentrations/types, electrochemical analytical methods, mediator concentration/amounts.
● Design new experimental protocols which meet design inputs and performance
● Carry out extensive laboratory work to test new experimental protocols
● Build, functionalise and test microneedles for glucose and lactate sensing
● Carry out electrochemical tests to evaluate the sensor’s performance
● Optimise the electrochemical analytical programs to improve the sensor performance
● Optimize the sensor chemical structure by using a DOE approach
● Explore different electron transfer mediators, electrode pre-treatment methods and membrane
materials to expand the linear range of the sensor & modify the mass transfer properties of the
● Help with in-vivo human trials of the sensor
● Learn about statistical models to validate sensing systems and their performance
● Learn about microneedle sensing technologies (transferable to any electrode based application)
● Build knowledge on handling and working with enzymes (used in countless other applications)
● Learn about electrochemical methods (Amperometry, Voltammetry)
● Learn about best practises for in-vivo studies with human trials
● Learn to use potentiostats for electrochemical applications
● Learn best practices in documenting, reporting and presenting findings to a team
● Objectives and KPI management
● Learn the steps required in commercialising a biosensor (from lab in-vitro work to human in-vivo
● Extend the linear range of the biosensor
● Improve the sensitivity of the sensor in-vivo
The ideal candidate will have:
● Confident in conducting lab experiments alone
● Strong interest in solving complex problems spanning several disciplines
● Excellent written and verbal communication
● Team working skills
Material Scientist/Engineer or Electrochemist with at least an MSc/MEng in an electrochemistry related
The company is based at the Translation & Innovation Hub in White City.
The salary will be between £5k and £7k depending on the level of experience of the intern. It will last for a
duration of 3 months and there will be a full time job opportunity at the end of it.
Closing date: 31st of October 2018
Start date: 1st of January 2019 (flexible)