What does a talented Picture Editor look like?
For the Royal Society of Chemistry, it’s someone creative, bold, with a love of science. It’s someone who is dynamic, with the desire to keep up to date with the latest in chemistry.
If that someone sounds like you, we’d like to talk.
As our Picture Editor based in Cambridge, you will be part of a small team of creative professionals. You will provide imagery for the whole organisation – from engaging educational pieces to award-winning magazines and everything in between.
Our creative design work, both digital and print, must attract attention, inspire involvement and create the desire to take action among all our audiences, meeting exceptional standards of quality that reflect our organisational reputation. You will be expected to deliver a programme of planned activity which balances competing demands of a growing and diverse organisation and achieving value-for-money from suppliers.
The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) is the world’s leading chemistry community, advancing excellence in the chemical sciences. The UK’s professional body for chemical scientists with over 54,000 members worldwide, we are a £50m-turnover not-for-profit organisation with over 500 staff internationally, and an award-winning global knowledge business. For nearly 200 years our organisation has promoted, supported, and celebrated chemistry. We work to shape the future of the chemical sciences – for the benefit of science and humanity.
Our audience groups are exceptionally diverse – from teachers, scientists and academics, librarians and corporates to politicians and the public. Our work includes activities focused on our role as a professional body (eg supporting members), a publisher (eg selling journals, books and databases), and as the voice of the chemical science community (eg campaigning to influence government policy).
We are looking for someone with:
- A degree in chemistry or related subject.
- A creative mind with an eye for visual detail.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Good numeracy skills and the ability to work within budgets.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong organisational and time-management skills, along with the ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Experience of proactively dealing with customer queries and solving issues.
- Must be efficient and highly competent in the use of software packages associated with PCs.
- Experience of picture research, image libraries and associated copyright laws (this would be advantageous)
- Experience of the software tools used in magazine production, specifically Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat (preferred).
At the Royal Society of Chemistry we offer excellent benefits, including a standard 35-hour week: http://www.rsc.org/about-us/work-for-us/#benefits.
If interested, please apply by our closing date.
Download the full job description here.