Assay Development Laboratory Technician
Owlstone Medical's mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health careproviders $1.5B. With several major projects underway to develop disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath.
We are currently seeking a laboratory technician to join its team based in Cambridge, UK. Working closely with the metabolomics development and product development team you will be expected to ensure that all lab processes relating to quality and health and safety operate smoothly. We are looking for someone with laboratory experience and a background in science. The successful candidate will be a hands-on, team player with a positive and flexible attitude to work. This is an internship position of 3 months with strong possibility for extension, supported by the Royal Society of Chemistry.
Areas of Responsibility:
1. Daily management of assay development laboratory
- Instrument inventory
- Daily instrument calibrations
- QC checks
- Glassware management
- Replenishment lab stock
- Ordering chemicals
- Keeping the labs tidy and organised
- SOP writing
2. Implmentation of health and safety processes
- Risk assessment reviews
- Fume hood management
- Chemical inventory management
- Compressed cylinder management
- Pressurised systems management
3. Follow quality-management-system processes (conforming to ISO9001, ISO13485 and other standards and required)
- Implementation of calibration logs
- Coordination of service visits for instrumentation
4. Maintaining accurate and up-to-date laboratory records
- Be qualified to degree level in a science related discipline, or demonstrate equivalent practical skills through relevant job history
- Experience of working a laboratory environment is desirable
- Has to be bright and delivery focused, with the drive and enthusiasm to push forward relentlessly in a fast paced and challenging environment
- Has competent self-management skills to allow both structured individual work, and integration into busy project development cycles
- Values interpersonal and communication skills; must be a team player
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale makers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including, Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people's lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
If you have any question on the role please email email@example.com.