CTO (R&D & Scale-up)
CTO (R&D & Scale-up)
Materialize.X ( http://materializex.com/ ) combines chemistry and data science to develop sustainable adhesives and to optimize manufacturing processes.
Our vision is to become a global leader in the field of sustainable chemistry and process optimization through continuous innovations and expansion.
We focus mainly on the engineered wood industry such as particle boards, MDF or Plywood. We believe that wood is the only major building material that is both renewable and sustainable over the long term.
We discovered the first scalable non-toxic adhesive, and aim at replacing conventional toxic urea-formaldehyde adhesive in the engineered wood industry. We didn’t stop there: Materialize.X developed state-of-the-art machine learning optimization algorithms to make the manufacturing process more efficient and cost-effective.
Our adhesive and optimization software are tightly interconnected: optimizing our customer’s manufacturing process enables us to integrate our adhesive into their production process faster, increasing productivity and product quality.
- The purpose of this position in the ( Formulation & manufacturing optimisation) the objective is to lead the scale up production of a new Bio-adhesive for 3d composites, with a focus on the engineered wood industry.
- This position brings together advanced chemistry, process design, with project management in the chemical industry.
- Primary responsibility will include leveraging expertise in adhesives, resins, dispersions, formulations and processing.
- Is able to engage with people & supervise the work of others (In house R&D & subcontractors: Scientist, Engineers and Technicians)
Major Activities / Key Challenges:
- Leading or supporting projects aligned with the company needs and technological roadmap, specifically for managing the transition from bench top to a successful pilot plant.
- Connects projects to value through established financial tools (Degrees of Implementation)
- Develop and foster collaborative relationships with our external resources in support of technology development and projects
- Solving innovatively and creatively technical issues, with rigorous scientific understanding and wide independence of action
- Communicating effectively results through written detailed technical reports and oral presentations to management, peers,partners & customers
What we offer
- A challenging project with high personal responsibility & impact
- The opportunity work on a disruptive technology, with a high potential transform an entire industry
- Working with a highly motivated and diverse team of talented individuals
- Salary £40-50K + 1-5% Equity share in our company
Essential Knowledge & Skills / Education:
- Demonstrated expertise in the chemistry of adhesives and resins
- Appreciable knowledge in developing adhesive technologies to enhance curing time, performance characteristics such as durability, mechanical properties and molding resistance
- Appreciable knowledge in the chemistry and/or material science of cellulose substrates
- Appreciable knowledge and proven understanding of material performance characterisation methods, including failure analysis and materials testing, applied to improving performance in industrial applications
- Project management experience including project planning and budgeting.
- Experience in product or process development through implementation
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Excellent technical writing and presentation skills
- Ability to network and collaborate across a broad spectrum of internal and external partners and customers
- MSc or equivalent in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Material Science or Polymer Science from an accredited institution. Other degrees might be considered, if accompanied by substantial relevant experience.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in adhesives, polymers or sealant formulation and testing
- Minimum 1 successfully completed project from bench top formulation to scale up production
- Employees must be legally authorised to work in the United Kingdom
- PhD or equivalent in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Material Science or Polymer Science from an accredited institution. Other degrees might be considered, if accompanied by substantial relevant experience.
- 5 or more years of experience in adhesives, adhesive formulation, scale up production and testing
- Proven success in new product or process development
- Minimum Education Required: MSc
- Minimum Years Of Experience : 5