Deputy Editor, Journals
The Royal Society of Chemistry seeks a Deputy Editor, Journals, on a full time permanent basis. You will be based at our Cambridge Science Park office (free onsite parking), with national and international travel.
This is a vital role to support the continuing development of our journals contributing to community engagement, commissioning and achieving our ambitious growth targets. We are looking for an ambitious professional who wants to apply and develop their current knowledge and skills, and further their career in STM publishing.
You will work closely with the Executive Editor to proactively contribute to the strategic development of the portfolio, through commissioning and product development plans and by working closely with the Development Editor to implement these plans, build lasting relationships with key stakeholders, attend national and international conferences, and deputise for the Executive Editor where required. You will also work closely with other teams across the organisation to ensure the successful delivery of the journal strategies and the wider Royal Society of Chemistry Publishing strategy.
This role will support the General Chemistry Portfolio, consisting of Chemical Communications,Chemical Society Reviews, Faraday Discussions and Royal Society: Open Science.
In addition to the above, you will be:
- Developing and implementing product development plans to improve journal performance through effective Editorial policy, commissioning and marketing plans
- Commissioning articles, via desk based research and attendance at scientific conferences
- Contributing to the development of the Editorial and Advisory Boards and to assist the Executive Editor in the identification and recruitment of external Associate Editors
- Developing and maintaining good relationships with existing and potential authors, referees and customers
- Monitoring the demands of market forces to inform journal developments
- Involved in preparing and managing journal budgets
- Supervising the Development Editors and Editorial Assistant working on the portfolio
We are looking for:
- A good honours degree in science (chemical science normally preferred).
- Previous experience in STM publishing.
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to work well as a team.
- Good organisational and time-management skills are required together with the ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and passion for the chemical sciences would be an asset.
- Previous commissioning experience and conference attendance.
At the Royal Society of Chemistry, we offer excellent pro rata benefits.
If interested, please apply before the end of our closing date.
For a full job description, please click here.