Programme Manager, Business Development
You will play a crucial role in the implementation of our Commercial Strategy, including our ambitious plans to diversify and grow income through developing our portfolio of products and services that we offer. You will use your financial acumen and work with our Business Development team to investigate and develop business cases for both new and existing products and services.
Your accountabilities will also include:
- Supporting the diversification of RSC income streams, including new business, commercial opportunities and the development of existing income streams.
- Evaluating ideas/opportunities and write business cases, and to support or lead these through the governance/approval process.
- Supporting the development of the Commercial Strategy and associated commercial operating plans.
- Analysing the RSC Strategy and directorate plans, providing the evidence to support the development of new opportunities and exploiting the existing RSC product/service portfolio.
- Supporting the development of a new product/service opportunity pipeline, and provide analytical tools to inform the strategic, operational and financial case for projects to progress, including assessment and recommendations, to the more detailed business case stage.
- Provide mechanisms to help identify prospective partnerships and acquisition opportunities, based on RSC strategy, and ensure these align with the broader charitable aims of the RSC. In some cases to facilitate these partnerships and acquisitions.
- Collaborate effectively with other functions within the RSC to optimise and identify opportunities for innovative product, service, technological and licensing opportunities.
- Undertake a customer centric approach to new product/service development requiring travel to relevant conferences and events to engage with the existing and potential customer base.
- Be a part or lead cross-functional project teams during the development and implementation of new products and services and provide relevant performance metrics / KPIs to assess efficacy.
- Represent the RSC externally and ensure that the organisation is promoted effectively to customers and stakeholders.
Knowledge and skills required:
- Financial numeracy and commercial acumen, as evidenced by a Finance qualification (CIMA,ACA or equivalent) and/or a Business qualification.
- Good honours degree in the physical sciences, or similar qualification, would be a distinct advantage.
- Demonstrable experience of translating customer needs and developing ideas/opportunities into written proposals and business cases.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to engage effectively, and obtain support/approval from other internal departments and stakeholders, as well as external contacts.
- Demonstrable experience of leading and managing projects and external suppliers.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- An analytical approach with attention to detail and a proactive approach to problem solving.
- Collaborative and flexible approach to team-work with experience of working in a matrix environment.
- Knowledge of the STM Publishing landscape and/or other areas of business such as Events, Accreditation, Education or Training would desirable.
You will be based in Cambridge but some national and international travel will be required to attend major conferences as well as potential partner meetings. Some flexibility in working hours may be required, to manage fluctuations in workload, travel commitments, and project priorities.
For a full job description please click here