Synthetic Organic Chemist
Who We Are
Bio-Techne is an industry leader in the supply of high quality life science research chemicals, and custom chemistry services, to universities and pharmaceutical company customers worldwide. The Bristol site is responsible for the Tocris brand of products.
Bio-Techne includes the complementary brands, R&D Systems, Novus Biologicals, Tocris, ProteinSimple, Cliniqa, and BiosPacific. We have brought these brands together as Bio-Techne to be a stronger scientific partner to help customers attain their research goals.
Watch our story and learn more about Bio-Techne here: http://www.bio-techne.com/our-story
Educated to PhD degree level, you should be able to plan and execute challenging multi-step syntheses resulting in the production of complex organic molecules. You will have a focus on hitting targets/deadlines, and a real drive to succeed. This is a bench chemistry role which does not include people management responsibilities.
Member of a team of chemists engaged in the development of products for the Tocris brand, and additionally working on a range of internal research initiatives and custom synthesis work for external clients. Whilst a key requirement of the role is consistent delivery against measures such as quality, quantity, budget and time frame, equally important is an innovative and creative approach to our diverse portfolio of challenging projects.
Bio-Techne consistently achieves successful and profitable growth. If you can back proven technical ability with enthusiasm, excellent interpersonal, knowledge sharing and teamwork skills, and a collaborative attitude, we’d like to hear from you.
- Plan projects prior to commencement to assess economic viability and agree project deliverables
- Achieve targets of product quantity and quality within an agreed timescale and budget
- Request new projects as required to ensure efficient working
- Work in a safe, tidy and responsible manner, abiding by relevant regulations such as COSSH and cGMP manufacture
- Prioritise and then continually review ongoing projects in consultation with Team Leader
- Report progress informally (direct communication) and formally (written reports)
- Obtain required analytical data on final products for stock, and submit for review
- Maintain a high standard of documentation in electronic laboratory notebooks, project reports and other documents
- Ensure projects are properly and promptly closed off upon completion
Education and Experience:
- PhD degree in organic chemistry
- Ideally 2-3 years+ related industrial experience in the pharmaceutical or speciality chemical sectors
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Detailed knowledge of organic chemistry – synthesis, problem solving and analysis
- Knowledge of, and adherence to, required quality and safety standards
- Commercial and scientific acumen coupled with report writing skills
- High level of personal productivity
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Decision making and problem solving skills
- Practical ability and analytical data interpretation skills
- Excellent attention to detail, time management, and organizational skills
- Excellent ‘can do’ attitude, including a willingness to contribute to tasks that benefit the wider team
- Ability to perform a wide variety of tasks and multi-task efficiently
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and work to deadlines
- Feel comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to build strong relationships cross functionally
If you are interested in applying for the above position please send a covering letter and up-to-date CV to Kathryn Goodall, Human Resources, Bio-techne Bristol, email@example.com. Closing date for applications is 28th April 2018; due to a high number of applications, if you do not receive a response by that date, please assume that on this occasion, your application has been unsuccessful.
This Bio-Techne team is unable to employ any candidates requiring sponsorship to work in the UK and all applicants must be in a position to accept permanent employment without infringement of their immigration status. Bio-Techne is an equal opportunities employer.