Hardgoods Design Engineer Industrial Placement
At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.
3M is seeking a Hardgoods Design Engineer Industrial Placement Student for the Drug Delivery Systems Division located in Loughborough, Leicestershire. Ready to be part of what's next?
Key Benefits Include:
• 25 days paid annual holiday, plus Bank Holidays.
• Contributory Stakeholder Pension Scheme
• Discount on 3M products
• Reduced subscriptions on various insurance schemes
• Employee Assistance Programme
3M Health Care are offering an Industrial Placement opportunity within their Inhalation Drug Delivery R&D group, Loughborough. The role is for a Product Design Engineer supporting the Hardgoods Design and Development group. This group is responsible for the design and development of 3M Health Care's global asthma inhalers, from the aerosol can, metering valve, and dose counters to full devices. Most of our parts are high-precision plastic injection mouldings and the role is more mechanical than industrial design focused.
• Generation and modification of 3D CAD models
• Design input on projects
• CAD renderings
• Product Development R&D
• Organising and managing supply of rapid-prototyped and machined parts
• Laboratory based functional testing of prototypes
• Right to live and work in the UK
• Minimum 2:1 BEng in first year exams
• 300 UCAS points or equivalent qualifications including STEM subjects
• Valid UK driving license preferred, but not essential
Knowledge and Skills
• Candidates should be able to demonstrate creative design skills logically solving technical briefs.
• All design work should be based on and accompanied by a solid engineering understanding.
• CAD skills are essential, although training will be given and pure Mechanical Engineering students with less CAD experience shouldn't be put off!
• An understanding of the injection moulding process and tooling would be beneficial although not a requirement.
• Honest and professional
• Work and problem solve as part of a team
Training and Development
This is the eighth year that we have taken placement students into this group and have been pleased with the work that has been completed and the range of opportunities and development we have been able to give in return. Someone who shows aptitude will have the exposure and chance to contribute to all of our projects and develop their CAD, product development and design skills to a professional level.
3M captures the spark of new ideas and transforms them into thousands of ingenious products. Our culture of creative collaboration inspires a never-ending stream of powerful technologies that make life better. 3M is the innovation company that never stops inventing.
With $32 billion in sales, 3M employs 90,000 people worldwide and has operations in more than 70 countries. The UK and Ireland is home to one of the largest 3M subsidiaries outside the USA, employing 3,000 people across 23 locations, including 10 manufacturing sites.
Products manufactured in the UK include coated abrasives, personal safety equipment, adhesive tapes, industrial microbiology products, drug delivery systems, high-performance coatings, secure documents, passport readers and imaging systems.
For more information, visit www.3M.co.uk or follow @3M_UK on Twitter.
Having any issues with your application? If so, please email Graduate.IPRecruitment.UK@mmm.com
Working at 3M
Unleash your potential.
Our success depends on the energy of our employees and the high quality of their leadership. Most of all it depends on their continuous improvement.
From sales to manufacturing to marketing to engineering, if you're committed to expanding your knowledge and gaining leading-edge skills, this is the place to do it. Professional development at 3M includes excellent training, continuing educational support, mentorship from smart, experienced people and more.
Move up - or move in new directions.
You'll find a strong promote-from-within culture here; it's an important aspect of our emphasis on learning and professional growth. You may also move between business units or even, potentially, to different locations around the world. That's one of the many advantages of our diverse business model and global reach.
Please note – the closing date for applications is Wednesday 31st January 2018.
Apply now for this exciting opportunity with 3M. 3M is an equal opportunity employer.
Learn more about 3M’s creative solutions to the world’s problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please note: your application may not be considered if you do not provide your education and work history, either by: 1) uploading a resume, or 2) entering the information into the application fields directly.