Medicinal Chemistry Team Leader
Astex Pharmaceuticals is a world leader in innovative drug discovery and development. The company has successfully applied its proprietary Fragment-Based Drug Discovery (FBDD) platform to generate multiple new drug candidates that are progressing in clinical development. Astex continues to grow and focuses on Oncology and Neurological Disorders.
CURIOSITY, CREATIVITY AND INNOVATIVE SCIENCE FOR DRUG DISCOVERY ...UNLOCK YOUR POTENTIAL
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced medicinal chemistry leader keen to work on Fragment Based Drug Discovery (FBDD) in close collaboration with computational chemistry, structural biology, biology and DMPK. Candidates will be highly rigorous scientifically and able to challenge and stimulate colleagues. An excellent knowledge and understanding of synthetic organic chemistry as well as significant practical experience is required. Ideal candidates will have extensive experience in industrial medicinal chemistry, including lead optimization and DMPK problem solving, leading to the delivery of pre-clinical drug candidates.
- Provide medicinal chemistry expertise on Astex portfolio projects, from target validation through fragments-to-leads and lead optimization stages, with an emphasis on structure-based drug design and state of the art synthesis methodology
- Contribute to the evolution of the Department’s technology and strategy
- Line management of scientists from within Astex’s Medicinal Chemistry Department
- Promote cross disciplinary interactions
- PhD in synthetic organic chemistry with demonstrated expertise in delivering target molecules
- Track record of consistent delivery in a drug discovery setting (leads and candidates)
- Innovative approach to problem solving
- Conversant with biological and physical sciences relevant to drug discovery
- Effective interdisciplinary team working and communication skills
- Proven ability to lead a team including day to day supervision and staff development plans
- Strong scientific reputation including an outstanding publication record
- Experience in compiling patents and publications
- Aptitude in structure-based drug design will be particularly advantageous.
We offer excellent career development opportunities as well as a highly competitive salary and benefits package.
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter quoting the job reference: TL/1117 to HR.UK@astx.com
Closing Date: 31st December 2017