Scale-up Synthetic Chemist
Reference Number: SLSC0316
Job Title: Scale-up Synthetic Chemist
School: Life Sciences
Unit: Drug Discovery Unit
Grade: Grade 7 (£31,604 - £38,833) or Grade 8 (£39,992 -£47,722)
Job Category: Research
Closing Date: 20 October 2017
The Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) at the University of Dundee is seeking a motivated, proactive and experienced scale-up chemist with an excellent knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry.
The DDU is discovering new drugs for major infectious diseases, including leishmaniasis, malaria and TB, and other diseases e.g. cancer and inflammation.
The successful candidate will set up and deliver the scale-up facility within the DDU to support our drug discovery programmes. She/he will be responsible for selecting the equipment to support the function; and conducting route design and reaction optimisation to deliver robust processes, to allow scaling-up and delivery of high quality chemical intermediates and final compounds.
The post will work closely with a similar post being established for flow chemistry, to engage with the medicinal chemistry teams to identify key intermediates and leads for scale-up, opportunities for route development and give advice on safe scale-up of chemistries.
The DDU is housed in a state-of-the-art building, including our third chemistry laboratory (opened in September 2017), and has cutting-edge equipment and automation for drug discovery.
You will join a dynamic and multidisciplinary group that covers all aspects of drug discovery up to candidate selection, and work closely with synthetic organic, medicinal and analytical chemists across a range of projects. You will be responsible for advancing an internal culture of scientific excellence and identifying emerging trends in the field.
The post is available immediately.
The starting salary for this post will be within Grade 7 (£31,604 - £38,833) or Grade 8 (£39,992 -£47,722) depending on the experience of the candidate. A relocation allowance is available.
• Optimise synthetic routes and scale-up processes to either be suitable for parallel reaction approaches or up to 10L scale reactors
• Produce intermediates and final compounds for profiling, including in vivo efficacy studies, up to 100s of gram scale
• Select for purchase and maintain specialist laboratory equipment including of reactors up to 10L scale
• Develop the understanding of the practice and safety considerations of compound scale-up within the DDU’s medicinal chemistry teams
• Train selected members of the medicinal chemistry teams to use larger scale equipment, ensuring adherence to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
• Work with medicinal chemistry teams to define project requirements and delivery deadlines
• Work independently on projects of varying complexity
• Work cooperatively in a multi-disciplinary team setting
• Maintain a detailed and clear record of laboratory work in electronic notebooks and summarise the work in written reports
• Maintain a safe and clean work environment and adhere to all safety rules
• Help develop and follow all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
• Ph.D. in chemistry or organic chemistry or equivalent experience in organic synthesis
• Strong understanding and knowledge of state-of-the-art synthetic organic chemistry, including uses of chemicals and their interactions, potential hazards, and disposal methods
• Demonstrable technical proficiency in performing sensitive chemical reactions, isolations, separations, purifications and crystallisations
• Knowledge of scientific research methods and experiments; ability to advise other chemists performing chemical reactions
• Skilled at analytical methods such as HPLC, GC, MS, NMR
• Demonstrable and clear understanding of experimental design
• Ability to read, analyse, and interpret chemical periodicals, scientific journals, and regulatory documents
• Strong organisation and planning skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• High level of technical aptitude and creativity
• Relevant experience in process chemistry or compound scale up is required (substantial experience required for Grade 8)
• Proven track-record of identifying and optimising safe, scalable synthetic routes that focus on product quality
• Demonstrable hands-on expertise and experience in process chemistry and scale-up, and troubleshooting scale-up issues from gram to 100s of gram quantities
• Demonstrable expertise in multi-step chemical synthesis
How to apply:
The University of Dundee is a diverse community and is committed to equality of opportunity for all by providing a supportive, flexible and inclusive working environment. We have family friendly policies (including flexible working and childcare vouchers), staff groups for LGBT and BME; and prayer room facilities.
The University of Dundee has received the Athena SWAN Bronze Award (http://www.dundee.ac.uk/about/athenaswan/) which recognises the promotion of gender equality and has made further commitment to advancing inclusive culture which supports and encourages all under-represented groups.
The University of Dundee is a Scottish Registered Charity, No. SC015096.