Arms Control Scientist
Arms Control Scientist/Engineer
Location - Reading area
Package: Basic salary plus contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, additional flexible benefits scheme and excellent work/life balance including 9 day working fortnight
We are looking to recruit a science/engineering generalist into the Arms Control and Verification Research area of the AWE Systems Assessment group. You will work on our Nuclear Threat Reduction programmes of work, supporting the UK Government in preparing for participation in the negotiation of future nuclear-related treaties.
The role will include:
- Research and development of technical options to support treaty verification
- Analysis of proliferation and security risks associated with deployment of technologies and the conduct of on-site inspections
- Preparation to support government in implementing any future verification activities
Ideally, you will have a proven track record of making sound technical judgements, delivery of technical research and an interest in international diplomacy and the politics of nuclear weapons. You will also be able to work with and positively influence others, including individuals at all levels in the hierarchy of UK and foreign governments. Demonstrable knowledge of arms control issues and/or nuclear deterrence policy would also be preferred.
- To be considered for the role you must be educated to ONC/HNC level in a scientific or engineering discipline or have equivalent science based experience
A specialism in one or more of the following areas would be advantageous:
- Electronic system design
- Systems Engineering
- Nuclear physics
- Radiation detection
- Computational physics modelling
- Experimental physics techniques and data collection
- Data analysis and/or statistical modelling
- Operational Research
Some UK and or overseas travel will be involved.
Candidates must be willing to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities.