Polymer Synthesis Chemist
Ossila Limited is a high-tech, fast-growing R&D company that specialises in materials science. This encompasses materials development, processing, and testing. Our vibrant team is currently seeking an enthusiastic, dedicated synthetic chemist to join us in providing semiconducting materials in the field of organic electronics including OFETs, OPVs, and perovskite solar cells and to deliver its growth. You will be tasked with identifying, sourcing, developing, and synthesising materials to grow Ossila’s materials catalogue. Your work environment will be a modern laboratory that is currently based in the University of Sheffield - with an immediate start.
The candidate will be provided with H&S training, equipment training, and other training with a standard induction at the start of the job. The candidate should be highly motivated, with a great interest in working in a lab-based environment. The candidate is expected to have good knowledge of polymer chemistry, with experience in handling chemicals and well-versed in COSHH and MSDS safety procedures. Hands-on experience of low band-gap polymer semiconductor synthesis is highly desirable. This role will also involve a high degree of communication with our customers and colleagues, so excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required to deliver solutions to our customers while working with a high degree of coordination alongside internal colleagues.
Ossila Limited is a high-tech small business based on the University of Sheffield campus and provides a catalogue of cutting-edge components to researchers around the world. We are looking to expand rapidly in the next few years, and are searching for talented people to help us grow. In return, Ossila offers the opportunity to join an exciting, dynamic enterprise and experience life in a growing tech-based environment.
We provide materials and components to the organic electronics and thin-film research community who develop the science and technology that is driving the current revolution in smartphone displays and ultra-thin curved TVs (now entering production), as well as next-generation solar cells and flexible electronics (in development).
Qualifications and Experiences
A BSc/MSc of polymer/synthetic chemistry or subject related to materials science, with solid experience in a directly relevant field is required.
Relevant research experience is desirable, with at least one or more of the following:
- At least 1 year of experience with either polymer research activity or industry R&D role
- Low band-gap polymer semiconductor synthesis, especially aromatic carbon-carbon bond formation reactions
- Skilled at handling reactions with high-pressure inert gas cylinders and low-pressure high vacuums (Schlenk line technique)
- Soxhlet extraction for larger-scale chemical purifications
- Scale-up polymerisation reactions
Ossila is a small, friendly company. We are looking for someone who can work effectively as part of a team in a lab-based environment (and sometimes in a busy office), but also capable of working on their own initiative on a disciplined schedule - taking responsibility to solve problems when required.
- Conduct lab-based synthesis of polymer semiconductors.
- Characterisation of polymers with a variety of techniques, including UV-Vis, and CV in house and analysis of outsourced GPC, DSC and NMR.
- Record, analyse and document all the experimental procedures in detail.
- Scale-up synthesis of new products
- Engage with customers to deliver targeted solutions to their problems.
- Sourcing out materials for product R&D.
- Good knowledge of safe laboratory practices, including the understanding and writing of COSHH and MSDS forms.
- A willingness to work in a laboratory environment with hands-on activities.
- Good knowledge on polymer chemistry and skills for lab-based research activities including synthesis, purification and analysis.
- Able to express ideas and present results clearly, and write literature reviews.
- A willingness to communicate and liaise with customers to understand customer needs.
- Able to identify suppliers and establish supplier chains for Ossila’s business.
- Can work independently as well as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Familiar with MS Office and general IT.
We are unable to sponsor Tier 2 Work Visas. To qualify for this position, you will need to already have full rights to work in the UK.
Please send a CV (including references) together with a cover letter to email@example.com. Informal enquiries can also be made at this address.