Associate Publisher, Books
The Royal Society of Chemistry is looking for an engaging and successful manager to lead our books team and oversee the day to day running of the department. We have been publishing books since 1968 and have over 1,700 titles in our list, with 1,500 available as eBooks.
Reporting to our Publisher, Books & Journals, you will be responsible for the setting and delivery of ambitious commissioning and publishing targets, and financial management of the associated costs. This role will involve influencing and liaising with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders at all levels and across all departments.
The ideal candidate will have strong management and strategic thinking skills, excellent decision-making and organisational skills, a proactive style and the ability to use their initiative.
Your responsibilities will focus on:
- Defining strategic plans and KPIs for the programme, and implementing these strategies in conjunction with the Publisher to ensure the continuous development of the books programme.
- Leading, motivating and developing the Books Commissioning and Production teams, contributing to and maintaining a culture of innovation and creative thinking in terms of delivering the team’s strategic targets and KPIs.
- Preparing annual budget and financial plans, and ensuring the financial and operational efficiency of the programme.
- Leading our continued transition into a customer focussed eBook provider, working closely with colleagues from our technology teams.
- Working with Sales colleagues on initiatives which maximise the sales and profitability of the programme.
- Building positive and collaborative internal relationships and contacts.
- Keeping internal stakeholders informed of key initiatives and ensuring books developments and activities support the common strategic goals of the organisation.
- Monitoring the STM and competitor landscape in terms of initiatives, innovation, products and services to feed this knowledge into strategic and business planning.
We are looking for:
- Physical or life science degree, ideally in chemistry.
- The role holder will have significant STM publishing experience, Sound knowledge of budgets, management accounts, and cost management and must be able to apply this knowledge to books budgets and new business developments.
- High degree of staff management skill and must apply this to recruitment, training, supervision, motivation and development of staff.
- Managerial experience of teams handling commissioning activities is desirable but not essential.
- Business awareness of developments in STM publishing.
- Broad knowledge of developments in electronic publishing and must be able to recommend the implementation of any changes necessary where external factors may impact on the RSC’s publishing operation.
- Broad knowledge of all aspects of commissioning activities, editorial policy, procedures and production processes.
- Sound business acumen, and demonstrable negotiation skills.
- Understanding of the working of committees, especially Editorial Boards, and effective meeting management.
- Strong knowledge (or the ability to develop this knowledge) of wider, RSC strategic projects and priorities.
This role is available on a full-time temporary basis to cover maternity leave, based in Cambridge.
If this sounds of interest, please apply before the end of our closing date.