Technical Service Manager - Fuel Specialties
Title: Technical Service Manager – Fuel Specialties
Location: Millbrook, Bedfordshire
Salary: Base Salary circa £75,000; bonus; blue chip benefits
Reference Number: 62551
Innospec Inc. is a global specialty chemicals manufacturer with sales of approximately $1bn, and 1800 employees in 23 countries. Its Fuel Specialties division specialises in manufacturing and supplying additives to improve fuel efficiency, boost engine performance, and reduce harmful emissions.
As the only business solely focused on fuel and fuel additive technology, they have become the champion of innovative new fuel treatment technologies in a rapidly changing market. With an extensive R&D function at Ellesmere Port, and a specialist team at the Millbrook Proving Ground testing facility, their highly skilled experts work closely with customers to identify and develop fuel treatments that meet a specific technical requirement.
Fuel Specialties has a global presence, and provides specialty technologies to key customers such as Shell and BP, Repsol, and state-owned oil groups. This is a high-performing business with a strong technology portfolio, and is recognised as a key area of future growth within the organisation. Due to an internal promotion, Innospec are now looking to appoint a new Technical Service Manager – Performance Specialties, for its Fuel Specialties division.
- Reporting to the Director of Technical Services - EMEA & Asia Pacific, your role is to manage the Customer Technical Service team and function at Millbrook, Bedfordshire. You will be responsible for meeting the Customer Technical Service requirements of the Performance Specialties business within Fuel Specialties – for both gasoline and diesel multifunctional formulations. This will involve leading and developing an experienced and capable team of 4 direct reports.
- The main day-to-day activity will involve liaising with Innospec’s Performance Specialties sales teams, and the Group R&D team, responding to queries for technical support from customers – and demonstrating that Innospec’s fuel additives can provide the specific solution or performance requirement that is needed. This requires a strong blend of commercial and technical ability to understand how to handle and respond to each project, as well as prioritise the activities of your team.
- Maintain awareness of recent advances in transport fuel additive application to provide the best service to the business and provide an interface to the Research Group in Ellesmere Port. Through your hands-on and customer-facing approach, play an active role in representing and promoting the company across the world.
- The successful candidate will be an ‘application scientist’ with a proven track record in Technical Service – ideally from within a fuel additives formulator - where you will have had experience of managing a formulation laboratory, as well as an understanding of engine testing.
- You will have a commercial ability that will enable you to work effectively with customers. You will understand how to demonstrate Innospec’s fuel additive technology adds value to its customers, and differentiates both Innospec and its customers from their competitors.
- You will ideally have a degree in Chemistry, although other technical degrees such as Mechanical Engineering will also be considered.