Senior Material Chemist
Faradion Limited is a leader in the development of next generation rechargeable batteries for the utility, automotive and consumer sectors. It has established research and development facilities at two UK sites, Oxford and Sheffield, has a growing IP portfolio and a committed team of scientists and engineers.
The company is leading a recently established consortium to develop a Sodium-ion battery for solar storage; this is a really exciting time for Faradion and shows the interest and drive in the market for further energy storage applications. Additionally, another Faradion partnership has just received £1.3 million to significantly reduce the cost of electric vehicle batteries by using cheaper sodium-ion technology.
To aid this research and development, they are seeking inquisitive minds, committed researchers and Chemistry professionals to grow and sustain the innovative environment at Faradion. Currently a team of 15, joining staff can expect an environment where deep thinking, academic creativity and novel approaches are all hugely valued. Individuals who enjoy idea generation, asking ‘why’ as well as ‘how’, and want to be part of a team engineering energy solutions for the future will certainly thrive here.
To find out more, visit: http://www.faradion.co.uk
About the role:
You will be taking the lead on key R&D activities, with technicians and scientists reporting to you. On a daily basis, you might be:
- Design and synthesise carbon-based materials for Na-ion battery anodes
- Characterise the physical properties of these materials and correlate it with their electrochemical performance in Na-ion batteries
- Develop synthesis methods for kilogram levels of material production
- Work with the Coating Team to develop materials that are optimised for mixing and coating at production-scale
- Direct and co-ordinate the technicians and scientists that report to you, ensuring that experimental work is carried out efficiently, effectively and to a consistently high standard
- Report progress in regular updates to the Cell Development Manager
- You’ll have a PhD in Chemistry, Materials Science, or a similar/relevant field
- You’ll have c3 years’ experience of synthesising (e.g. solid state, hydrothermal) carbon materials
- You'll appreciate that the development of new technology is time sensitive and the market is always changing; you’re the kind of person who is excited to join a dynamic environment where things are always moving forward and ideas are continually put forward and tested
- You can demonstrate experience of characterisation of carbon materials, such as porosity and surface area measurements
- You can provide examples of having optimised material physical and/or chemical properties through synthesis
- You’ll have experience with energy storage materials, inert atmosphere glove box procedures, and electrochemical techniques
- Ideally, you’ll have experience with carbon-containing slurry systems
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK
Start date: July/August 2017
Salary: Competitive/negotiable based on experience
How to apply:
Please submit a CV and covering letter to Amy Collins: email@example.com by 9am on Tuesday 11th July 2017, and clearly specify which role you are applying for.
In your covering letter, please tell us how your research to date could advance Faradion’s R&D activities, and outline skills and previous experiences that you feel are relevant to this post.
Apply for Senior Material Chemist
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly