About the Company
AlgaeCytes is focused on developing and commercialising the next generation of bioactive ingredients from sustainable and environmentally-sound resources. AlgaeCytes uses its unique algae technology in an integrated biorefining process to produce high-value algae based products, in particular omega-3 oils, polysaccharides and proteins, for the food, cosmetic and the pharmaceutical market.
The role will be based in our labs, as part of the chemistry team, working on the downstream processing of algal biomass. Central to the role are the optimisation of the production of high-value chemicals, the analysis of products, and the scale-up of processes.
Main duties and responsibilities
• Working as part of a team on laboratory- to pilot plant-scale to cultivate microalgae and extract products of interest using chemical techniques.
• The development of laboratory and scale-up methods for extracting natural oils and other bioactive ingredients.
• Method development, identifying and characterising bioactive ingredients using analytical techniques as GC-MS, HPLC and others.
• Consistently demonstrating initiative in implementing project work and effectively designing, problem solving and conducting experiments.
• Developing an understanding of company’s projects and how they affect the company’s business and products.
• Clear and timely communication of data.
• Analysing and interpreting experimental data, then making appropriate recommendations.
• Working effectively in a multidisciplinary team to formulate and execute project research plans.
• Working independently and flexibly to meet changing demands.
• Present data-supported conclusions in written and oral reports on progress.
• Ensure that all company policies and safety practices are followed.
Skills and Qualifications
The ideal candidate requires a BSc/MSc/PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry or similar field with skills in biological, organic and analytical chemistry. Preferably 1 to 3 years relevant industry experience. Valuable skills also include working with microalgae and/or plants and the extraction of natural products. Must be able to work independently and flexibly and to adapt to changing priorities. Salary will be in the range of £22K-26K per annum and the closing date for applications is June 21 2017.
Disclaimer: the above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this role and is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. AlgaeCytes Limited reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organisational needs as necessary.
Send all enquiries to:
Discovery Park House
Kent CT13 9ND
AlgaeCytes is based in state-of-the-art labs at Discovery Park, Sandwich, Kent. The world-class facilities have attracted a host of international companies from the life science, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, science and technology sectors. It has helped to create an environment where emerging businesses, local universities and established organisations can interact.
Apply for Chemist
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly