Senior / Development Chemist
Haltermann Carless is the leading European refiner and supplier of high performance speciality hydrocarbons, advanced automotive fluids and speciality chemicals. They have a vacancy for a Development Chemist or Senior Development Chemist to join their dynamic team based at their Harwich Refinery in Essex. These are great opportunities for ambitious graduates who want to gain experience in working on a variety of different projects in a commercial manufacturing environment where you will really get the opportunity to shine!
The main responsibilities of the Senior role are as follows:
To perform testing on existing or new feedstock or products and provide commentary on the quality and product yields. This is a really exciting opportunity for someone who has a real flair for development activities to work closely with their business managers in several of their business streams on projects to improve their products and maintain their reputation for cutting edge technological expertise.
- Able to blend / formulate existing or new products and where necessary operate the pilot still for fractionation projects and provide a detailed report with recommendations.
- To support the delivery, to agreed time lines, of product development, process development and process support programmes at the Harwich Manufacturing Centre for the Tailored Refinery Products business lines.
- To provide technical support to the business line for customer enquiries and complaints.
- To oversee the procurement of lab consumables and manage stock control.
- To provide the interface with external test houses and supervise the special testing of products.
- Provide REACH monitoring support, currently with special focus on category 2 (aromatics) products.
The successful candidate will have a good honours degree in pure chemistry (BSc or MChem) and for the senior post at least 2 years experience in a similar role. For the Development Chemist role we would consider a bright graduate with less experience but keen to learn. For both roles the successful candidate will be a self-starter with excellent written and verbal communication skills, fully IT literate and someone who enjoys working with a team. Its a busy lab with lots of work so you need the ability to be able to prioritise and the flexibility to work on several projects at the same time. The lab is a friendly place to work and you will enjoy a range of benefits including contributory pension, healthcare scheme, life assurance and 25 days holiday per year.