Associate Director Positions of “Center for Catalytic Hydrocarbon Functionalizations” in the IBS
“Founded in November 2011 by Korea Government, the Institute for Basic Science (IBS) supports basic research within the entire range of natural sciences including physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics, earth science, and astronomy by providing highly advanced, supportive, self-direct research environments”
IBS invites applicants for the position of Associate Director who are senior-level researchers with high research potentials, and are able to run his or her own research group in collaboration with the directors within their Research Centers.
1. Introduction of the research center
The Center for Catalytic Hydrocarbon Functionalizations(CCHF) was established in December, 2012 under the program of the Institute for Basic Science. CCHF is located inside Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), Daejeon, Korea.
The main research focus of the Center for Catalytic Hydrocarbon Functionalizations is the development of new catalytic reactions and identification of mechanisms. In addition to research on the applications of reactions that integrate various functional groups into hydrocarbons using catalytic methods, the Center is also aiming for the mechanistic investigations behind such processes. By first identifying basic principles concerning the carbon-hydrogen bond activation process in low-reactivity organic molecules, the Center aims to develop a system that enables mediation via metal catalysts for practical application to organic chemistry reactions. Its ultimate goal is to make innovative S&T progress beyond the boundaries of the existing chemical materials industry by applying the catalytic system to the integration of useful functional groups in methane-based hydrocarbons. The Center plans to undertake research in the development of a selective, defunctionalized catalyst system of bio-compounds to obtain glucose in massive amounts.
for more information - http://sbchang.kaist.ac.kr/
2. Job description
- Associate directors will serve important roles in assisting the founding director to achieve the goal of the research center as well as directing his or her own research group within the center. The specific field of research solicited for associate director is (i) surface scientific study of catalytic reaction and energy conversion.
- Applicants should have a strong record of scholarly achievement at the national and international level, a significant record of securing external funding for interdisciplinary-based research and evidence of leadership ability in his/her research field.
- The candidates must have experience managing a large research program and staff within an academic institution (or equivalent agency responsible for research) and be able to articulate a strong vision to further the research and outreach programs in IBS.
- The successful candidates should be able to acquire full professor level positions at KAIST.
3. Requirements for the position
- All candidates must be able to commit themselves completely in the long-term to IBS research activities.
- All candidates must be able to manage their respective research groups.
- The candidate should be recognized as one of leaders in the international community of his or her research field.
- The candidate of associate director must be fluent enough with the relevant scientific and policy issues to be a highly credible representative of the Center among audiences ranging from the general public to the uppermost levels of scientists and policymakers. The position calls for vision, breadth, and good judgment; proven intellectual leadership skills; a keen sense of public policy, as well as demonstrated financial and staff management experience.
- Authority to run his/her own research team.
- Sizable independent research budget.
- Tenured or permanent position.
5. General Selection Procedure
1) Recruitment of applicants by public advertisement
2) Selection of candidates for in-depth evaluation
3) Symposium and in-depth interview by review panel
4) Decision by the SEC(Selection & Evaluation Committee) about recommendation
5) Negotiation with director
6) Appointment by the president
6. Application Submission
- Please fill out the ‘Application Form’ in English and email it as a single PDF file to email@example.com no later than 25th of January
- E-mail title should include ‘Name of Applicant’ and ‘Name of the Research Center’
[ Contact Information ]
LEE Bee, Research Evaluation Team
Division of Research Service
Institute for Basic Science
70, Yuseong-daero 1689-gil, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, Republic of Korea 305-811
Tel. No.: +82-42-878-8123
Fax No.: +82-42-878-8065
* For more information, please visit IBS website (www.ibs.re.kr).
7. Download link for ‘Application Form’