Development Chemist (PU Elastomers)
Development Chemist Warrington, United Kingdom, Innovation R&D Last application date: 24-02-2017
For over 130 years, Perstorp has worked to improve the daily lives of millions of people around the world with innovative chemistry. Today we have an annual turnover of 11 billion SEK and have 1,500 employees worldwide, in Asia, Europe and North America. Our specialty chemicals make everything from cars to computers, from sails to shoes, lighter, stronger and safer. Every aspect of our corporate culture is infused with our core values of focused innovation, reliability and responsibility.
The Warrington site is based in the North West of England and this is the Perstorp Group’s manufacturing plant for caprolactones. Perstorp acquired the caprolactones business in February 2008. Operating under the Capa® registered trademark, the Capa Business Unit provides over 75 different products.
We are currently recruiting for a Development Chemist (Polyurethane Elastomers) based at Site Warrington.
The polyurethane elastomer applications laboratory was opened at Site Warrington in 2016 to support the thriving Capa™ polyol business for Perstorp™.
The current position is principally lab-based to support the work of PU Elastomer Technical Market Development Manager in marketing activities, customer support and innovation projects. The successful candidate will be part of the Global Innovation Organisation formally reporting to the Innovation R&D Manager in Warrington and also to the PU Elastomer Technical Market Development Manager as technical lead.
- To prepare and characterise polyurethane pre-polymers and elastomer products derived from Capa™ polyols in the laboratory. This will encompass both routine work and method development.
- To carry out mechanical testing (tensile, compression properties, etc.) of finished polyurethane articles.
- To be responsible for the day-to-day operation of the PU Elastomers Application Lab including scheduling and implementation of lab requests, maintaining stock inventory and ensuring continuous operation of lab equipment.
- To take part in other activities in the Capa™ Development Lab, e.g. Capa™ polyol sample preparation, new product design and process development projects, as dictated by the work program.
Qualifications and Experience
- A BSc (minimum 2:1) or Masters’ degree in Chemistry, Polymer Science or related discipline.
- A skilled practical organic chemist with at least 3 years’ experience in an academic or industrial laboratory setting.
- Experience working independently and taking ownership of lab tasks.
- Experience in the formulation and laboratory scale preparation of polyurethane prepolymers and/or finished polyurethane articles. e.g. elastomers, microcellular foam, flexible/rigid foam.
- Experience of analytical, physical and application testing of polymeric materials.
- A passion for practical lab work as well as an inquisitive mind.
- An understanding of the fundamentals of polyurethane chemistry.
- An ambition to use skills in organic chemistry to solve tricky synthetic and formulation challenges.